Bohemia

Going into our last fieldtrip I had so many mixed emotions. I was eager to explore Bohemia and see the beauty of the Czech’s countryside. Little did I know how much I would love it. The whole time, I was dreading the last goodbye we would have to say when we got back to Olomouc at the end. 
 
Kunta Hora was a cute little town where we visited a few places and were able to explore a lot on our own, which I really liked. I especially liked the fact that we stayed in a hotel! When we left Kunta Hora to head to Czesky Krumlov we stopped at the remains of a town where a bomb was dropped because some of the citizens had hid paratroopers. This made a connection with the movie we watched at the beginning of the semester, Anthropoid, and it hit home for me. 

When we got to Czesky Krumlov, it was pouring rain! This made for an interesting walk into the city and to our hostel. At this hosel, I shared a room with six other girls on the trip and I was kind of happy because this meant that I was going to be able to spend time with girls I wouldn’t have necessarily been with. After getting situated, we went to get dinner and explore and I fell in love with the city. The style of buildings and layout with a river surrounding the area was breathtaking. Walking to the top of the castle and seeing a birds-eye view was absolutely amazing, even if my thighs were burning! 

The next day we toured the castle and the theater close by. These tours were enjoyable and I had a good time, but my favorite part about this trip was what we did on the last day: rafting. Six of us were in a raft and we played music and just went down the river and stopped a quarter of the way to have a drink and hang out for a while. When we got back on the water, it was absolutely beautiful and the sun was shining but then it quickly changed to dark clouds and drops of rain. Right when it started to get bad we got off and were done, but we ran into some issues. Overall, the experience was amazing and it was a great way to end our fieldtrips with our program. 

Saying goodbye was the hardest part of the whole trip. Realizing that you’ll see these people back in Kearney but not in Europe is such a weird thought. When I see these people again, we will be living the “college life” again where we are studying, going to class, and working. Never again will we be in the same place for three months living this type of life where we can travel around care-free. Knowing that I am going back to lifelong friendships and connections that only we have is a little more comforting. All these people understand what I went through and the impact this had on my life. I believe that this last trip to Bohemia was a fantastic wrap to our program. 



Comments

Popular Posts